Welcome to my second product review. Every few weeks I will be testing and reviewing a sleep-related product. This time it is the Chillow – a cooling device.
Phew, it’s so hot, isn’t it? My timing couldn’t be better for testing the Chillow, even if I do say so myself.
I was excited about trying out the Chillow, and not just because of the hot spell we’re currently experiencing in the UK. I’d heard lots of great reviews about the Chillow, and wanted to see for myself if it lived up to the hype.
For those of you who haven’t seen or heard about the Chillow, it’s a rectangular blue pad, the same size as a standard pillow but only a couple of centimetres deep. It’s made from non-toxic, hypoallergenic material, which absorbs heat from your body and releases it back into the surrounding air. I was told that this produces a constant cooling effect and I couldn’t wait to give it a go.
First though, I had to activate my Chillow. This is a simple four-step process:
- Fill the Chillow with 1.9 litres (or 3 ¼ pints) of warm tap water – this only needs to be done once to activate the foam core, although additional water may need to be added if evaporation occurs over time;
- Leave the Chillow on a flat surface to rest for four hours;
- Create a vacuum seal by: carefully rolling the Chillow to create an airpocket bubble, uncapping the valve and releasing the air trapped inside. Note that some water will escape during this step, so my advice would be to do this in a sink or bath.
- Leave the Chillow on a flat surface to cool before use.
Your Chillow, which should look a bit wrinkly, is now ready to use time and time again. Easy peasy! I’m amazed that there’s no need for power or refrigeration, although the Chillow can be refrigerated for 15 – 30 minutes if you want a super cool Chillow (but I’ve been warned not to freeze it as this can ruin your Chillow).
The Chillow can be used on any part of the body, but it’s commonly used by placing it on top of your existing pillow – either inside or outside of the pillowcase. Throughout the last week, I’ve tested my Chillow as follows:
- On top of my pillow, both inside and outside my pillowcase – Anyone who flips their pillow for the cooler side will love sleeping on the Chillow. A few seconds after placing my head on my Chillow-topped pillow, I felt a pleasantly cooling sensation around my head and neck. As for the inside / outside pillowcase option, whilst laying my head directly on the Chillow provided greater coolness, I preferred the softness of my pillowcase over the plasticy material of the Chillow against my face;
- Under my feet – As someone who suffers from temperature-sensitive feet (freezing cold in the winter and tingly hot in the summer), the Chillow provided instant relief to my toasty tootsies;
- On my hands, back and midriff – For soothing coolness on the hottest of nights.
I was very impressed with the Chillow’s cooling effect: in fact, I found the Chillow to be so effective, that I only needed to use it for a few minutes when I first went to bed before I felt comfortable enough to sleep. Then I would keep it at hand – underneath my pillow is a good spot - in case I needed to cool down in the night; I could easily flip away my pillow or simply reach my hands under my pillow whenever I needed a cool fix. (I did notice that the foam core twisted a little after a night under my pillow, but it was easily smoothed out the next day).
My Chillow also gave me huge relief when I unlucky enough to fall ill this week. It soothed my hot flushes, easing me to sleep.
My verdict? The Chillow is a simple, effective cooling aid, perfect for quickly cooling you down on those hot, sticky, summer nights – without the irritating hum of a fan! So, don’t sweat it people, chill out with a Chillow!